“Be a good steward of your gifts. Protect your time. Feed your inner life. Avoid too much noise. Read good books, have good sentences in your ears. Be by yourself as often as you can. Walk. Take the phone off the hook. Work regular hours.” —Jane Kenyon
Resilience can be fostered by:
• Reflecting on our life experiences, extracting important lessons from those experiences, and acting in ways that are consistent with those lessons
• Using our strengths to achieve important goals
• Doing the “difficult thing“ to maintain momentum in important areas of our lives
• Recognizing that courage does not mean the absence of fear but rather acting in the presence of it
• Being part of an ongoing community that offers clarity of purpose, interpersonal support, and exemplars of the people we hope to become
• Reading biographies and autobiographies to deepen our understanding of how others have been tested and strengthened through adversity
• Being a “good steward of your gifts” in the ways Jane Kenyon recommends.
What would you add to my list?