• the U.S. Constitution and the rule of law
• the courage of countless individuals within government and outside of it who speak truth to power in the face of bullying and other forms of intimidation
• the power of existing and yet-to-be established groups that will empower citizens to stand for America’s founding principles and place in the world community
• a free and independent press that will relentlessly seek and tell the truth to the highest journalistic standards
• considered judgment over raw opinion and impulsivity
• science and rational evidence-based decision making over ignorance and superstition
• the historic capacity of Americans to resist tyranny wherever it may arise
• sanity-preserving humor over arrogance and vindictiveness
• generosity over greed
• a sense of “we” over “me”
Most of all, I’m relying on the resilience of love to prevail over hate, inclusiveness over exclusiveness, respect over disrespect, civility over incivility, and reasoned debate over emotion and propaganda.
I don’t know if any one of these qualities will be sufficient, but I am hopeful that in combination they will provide a brighter future for all of us.
In what do you place your hope?